2013 Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies – 1 1/16 Miles Dirt (Race 4, Post Time: 12:05 Pacific Time)
1. Artemis Agrotera (3-1) – She has been very impressive in both of her starts, winning her debut by 11 3/4 lengths and then winning the Grade 1 Frizette at Belmont by a 1 1/4 lengths. With her post, she will get a great trip in behind the leaders if she so chooses. She will have plenty of company if she ends up going to the lead.
2. Rosalind (8-1) – She ran a good 2nd in the Grade 1 Alcibiades last out at Keeneland as she came from off the pace. She also ran a solid 3rd in the Grade 3 Pocahontas where she finished behind Untapable. Despite those positives, she will need to show more talent to be competitive here. I will pass on her.
3. Designer Legs (30-1) – She ran huge in the Grade 2 Adirondack where she was placed 1st via disqualification, but her form has tailed off since then. She obviously did not care for the slop 2 races back, but in her last race she had great position, but nothing in the stretch. I will pass on her.
4. Secret Compass (6-1) – She ran a good race last out as she wore down She’s A Tiger in the Grade 1 Chandelier Stakes here at Santa Anita. I really like that she stalked the leaders and then ground her way to a victory. She deserves a long look to win this race.
5. Ria Antonia (30-1) – She started her career in Canada at Woodbine where she had 1 win from 3 starts. In her last start in the Grade 1 Frizette, she saved ground throughout and then failed to rally in the stretch. She will have to make a massive improvement to be considered. Pass.
6. Concave (15-1) – She started her career 2 for 2 with those wins coming on turf and then in the Grade 3 Sorrento over Polytrack. She ran a good 3rd when she was blocked until the stretch. The worry with here is that she has not gone 2 turns yet, but her pedigree suggests it should be no problem. She has some really good works coming into this race as well. I am going to pick her to upset this field.
7. Untapable (5-1) – She is 2 for 2 to start her career including the Grade 2 Pocahontas. She won that coming off the pace after being a bit unruly early on. She should have a good pace ahead of her and that makes her a must use on top.
8. Scandalous Act (8-1) – I am surprised this gal is 8-1 on the morning line. She is 4 for 5 in her career, but 3 of those wins were against Florida-bred competition. Yes, she did win each of those by at least 5 3/4 lengths but in her only stakes race against open competition, she was nowhere to be found. She also has to contend with other speed in here. I will pass on her, especially if she is under double digit odds.
9. Sweet Reason (5-2) – She is the morning line favorite for this race for multiple reasons. She crushed in the Grade 1 Spinaway at Saratoga two races back by 5 3/4 lengths and then ran a really good 2nd in the Frizette coming off the pace. That come from behind style will really help her in a race full of speed. I certainly like her chances, but I cannot take her at 5/2.
10. She’s A Tiger (6-1) – In her 5 career races, she has 3 wins and 2 seconds. 2 races back she won the Grade 1 Del Mar Debutante and then followed that up with a 2nd place finish in the Grade 1 Chandelier. She draws outside which is not a bad place to be considering all the speed in the race. If she can find a spot before the first turn, she will have a big say in this race.
I will play Win-Place-Show on #6 Concave as well as wheel her up and down in some exactas. In multi-race exotics I will use 4-6-7-9-10.