2013 Breeders Cup Distaff – 1 1/8 Miles Dirt (Race 10, Post Time: 4:35 Pacific Time)
1. Street Girl (30-1) – She is far and away the longest shot in this field of six and there are a few reasons for that. She has been competitive in her last 3 races (2 Grade 1’s and a Grade 3), but she has not won and she is not on the same level as these horses. Her only chance is to make one run and hope the other 5 horses falter. The longest of longshots in this race.
2. Authenticity (8-1) – She has really turned into a good mare this year; She has 8 starts, 3 wins, 4 seconds, and a third. She ran her best career race last out here at Santa Anita in the Grade 1 Zenyatta Stakes behind Beholder. I don’t think she will win this, but she does offer the best value of the race from a win wager standpoint.
3. Close Hatches (6-1) – She is a 3 year old filly taking on elders for the first time and what a time to do so against Royal Delta and Authenticity. Her only bad race was in the 2013 Kentucky Oaks when she was wide and then had nothing in the stretch. She is working brilliantly for this race, but I do not like her chances against Royal Delta and Princess of Sylmar.
4. Royal Delta (8-5) – She is the 2-time defending champion of this race and her career has been spectacular. She should be right on the lead or at least pressing it which would give her first run on the leader(s). She did finish 2nd to Princess of Sylmar last out when she failed to outkick her. She deserves to vie for favoritism and is a must use on top.
5. Beholder (5-2) – She went gate-to-wire last out in the Grade 1 Zenyatta Stakes here at Santa Anita. That was also her first race against older horses. She will be on the lead again, but she will have pace pressure at the very least. She sure does love Santa Anita as she has 5 Wins and a second from 6 starts. I respect her chances, but I think she settles for minor awards.
6. Princess of Sylmar (9-5) – Since her 4th place finish in her debut in October 2012, she has done nothing wrong. She is 8 for 9 since that defeat and her only other race was a 2nd place finish. Last time out, she sat off the pace and let Royal Delta challenge the leader before she swooped by and won by 2 lengths. I think the same thing happens today as she is my top pick.
I will not be making any bets for this race. This is one of those races you just sit back and watch a great field duke it out. In multi-race wagers I will use the 2-4-6.